All Day 20/12/2016 - 27/01/2017
Close January 27
Supported by the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage, Intrepid Landcare has developed a training resource to assist communities in NSW in their efforts to engage young people into Landcare and environmental initiatives. This resource will be rolled out across NSW with a series of workshops in four locations across the state. This expression of interest is inviting communities interested in youth engagement, to apply to host a Youth Engagement Workshop with Intrepid Landcare.
The workshops aim to upskill people from a range of Landcare and environmental organisations to engage young people. Workshops will focus on developing a collaborative approach to co-designing and delivering projects that are appealing to a younger generation.
Because we want to share this resource as broadly as possible, prior to applying to host a workshop, we encourage communities to think about who in the landscape would be interested in attending these workshops.
Our primary audience is Landcare coordinators and other facilitators of environmental initiatives, but we would also like to include Landcare committee members, staff from other organisations, youth officers, and anyone who is interested in engaging and supporting young people in the community to lead on local environmental issues. Some organisations might also like to send youth representatives to the workshops so there is youth representation.
Note: When we refer to “young people” and “youth” we refer to late high school aged to thirty something year olds. Intrepid Landcare recognises the diversity that young people can offer at different life stages.
Your expression of interest
We are currently seeking expressions of interest from communities around NSW who would like to host an Intrepid Landcare Youth Engagement Workshop, and are willing to work with us to find a suitable location and all the trimmings which make a successful workshop.
Who should apply to host an Intrepid Landcare Youth Engagement Workshop?
Our primary target for these workshop series is Landcare coordinators and other facilitators of environmental initiatives, so it would be appropriate for hosts to include:
- Regional or District Landcare Networks
- Youth Networks interested in Landcare and environmental initiatives
- Environment organisations interested in Landcare and youth engagement
- Other organisations willing to support collaboration on youth engagement and environmental initiatives (i.e. Local Land Services via Regional Landcare Facilitator Program)
When will these workshops be rolled out?
We are looking to roll out these workshops in March and early April 2017.
They can be hosted on a weekday or a weekend.
Dates can be negotiated, so that we cater to your community’s needs.
Who will attend these workshops?
We encourage the following people to attend (but not limited to):
- Local Landcare Coordinators
- Facilitators of environmental initiatives
- Landcare volunteers and committee members (or other volunteers)
- Community engagement staff from other youth organisations, councils, farmer groups, education institutions, environment and outdoor recreation organisations
- Young people in leadership roles in the community or youth representatives of interested organisations
What we bring to the table
Participants will gain the following
- Two Intrepid Landcare facilitators – Megan Rowlatt and Naomi Edwards
- Resources and advice for planning to attract youth
- Resources to help you in effective storytelling and communication
- Resources to help you plan, promote and deliver projects appealing to young people
- Resources to help you to support and nurture young people in your community
- A process to facilitate community collaboration and connection to relevant organisations and young people